Santo Tirso, Porto, Portugal
author NOARQ - José Carlos Nunes de Oliveira program single family house collaborators arch. Hugo Araújo, arch. André De Oliveira, arch. Juliana Costa, arch. Joana Pinto, arch. Luís Lima, arch. Daniel David Viana topography António Carlos Ferreira structural project eng. Francisco Bernardo; eng. Diogo Drumond – a400 hydraulic project eng. Tânia Matos – A400 electricity, telecommunications and security eng. alexandre martins – GPIC Gas and avac project eng. Rui Lima; eng. Gonçalo Leal – Edigreen contractors Conceito Recente; Hyline; OrdepMoveis; B.Loft; TopMarmi; Nuno Miranda lda. photography Fernando Guerra | FG + SG intervention área 2157.30 m² awards ArchDaily - 100 Best Houses of 2018, International Property Awards - Best Architecture Single Residence in Portugal
The proposal was elaborated for a plot of land with 1697 m², where 112 m² of covered area corresponded to a partially demolished two-story house with an equating roughly equating to a total floor area of 300 m². Out of the original 1697 m² of land, only 600 m²
was available to be built upon as the rest of the land is part of an Agricultural Reserve; in that way, the construction area was isolated from the street and surrounded by the reserve, below street level. Furthermore, the land is on a steep west-east slope divided into two
terraces with a nine-meter difference in elevation. The pre-existing construction was composed of a house, a threshing floor in the south, and a granary. The house was built with thick schist walls, the upper floor and threshing floor were covered in slate; we then demolished the upper floor, keeping the slabs of slate intact from the lower floor and threshing floor. Just like the old house, the new construction merges into the morphology of the land, doing without the urban frontage, encouraging a dialogue with the beautiful farmland that stretches away into the horizon on the side opposite of the street. The history of the current proposal began with solving the main plan of the house as a continuous path from the road; that consisted in locating the garage street side, putting an access corridor in the north for access/service from the garage to the storage area and the kitchen. In the south, the access from the street has some steps and an open corridor to the heart of the
house, the patio where the entrance is found.
The house has a gross area of 643.20 m² over three floors. Floor 0 (level -2, under street level) was rehabilitated and expanded, it now houses the social functions and patio support. To the north, the interior of this floor is ventilated and illuminated by a patio that used to be a cellar; the new co-exists with the old. Floor 1 (mezzanine) is organised around the larger patio (clipped by the floor 0 patio) and is used for the family’s daily life. To the north
exists the entrance to the covered parking, leading the inhabitants to the kitchen through a corridor. To the south, the rooms overlook the patio.
Floor 2, visible from the street, is used for relaxation. It partially overlaps the first-floor volume, and serves to shelter the entrance space as well as the patio. It is divided into three bedrooms and respective bathrooms. The roofs are all flat, with the floor-1 roof existing
at street level and including an esplanade facing the horizon.
The new construction, (completely made of reinforced concrete) is a dark mass of slate sitting on the lower walls of the old house, made of schist blocks, against the old terraces of granite and schist.